Skip to main content

Madan Kamdev Temple, Baihata Chariali, Kamrup

The ruins of Madan Kamdev Temple, was a mystery to me when I first visited the site in 2003. In my recent revisit to the site I couldn’t help but marvel at the amazing sculptures that assert eternal love, joy and happiness.
Archaeologists have dated the ruins to the 10th-12th Century A.D( Reign of the Pala Dynasty in Kamrupa). The ruins are supposedly the remains of around 20 temples dedicated to Lord Shiva. The main temple housed a sculpture of Lord Shiva and his consort Uma which the locals call “Madan Kamdev”.


As I climbed the stairs and reached the main temple, I was happy to see some roofing done. Atleast a start…..

The main temple
As per a legend, it was here that Lord Shiva( God of Destruction) incinerated Kamdev( God of Love) with his third eye. Kamdev was again reborn to be united with his consort Rati.


The temple, situated in the Devangiri hillock, is known for its striking resemblance to the famous 10th-11th century Khajuraho temples in central Madhya Pradesh state.


                   

 

















Interestingly, a school of thought believes that the erotic sculptures played a part in sex education in ancient India.



As I continued my walk around the ruins I came across the following structure. The priest informed me that it was a Lotus sculpture....

A closer look and I understood what he meant.....




Just next to the main temple were the ruins of many smaller Shiva Temples.....









 Kalpa-vriksha (the tree of fulfillment), six sided Bhairava, and four headed Shiva were the sculptures I was looking for to photograph. But they were not among the ruins. I was informed that most of the big sculptures were kept in the museum nearby. Since it was already 3pm, the museum had been closed for the day.

The Museum
Archaeologists discovered the site in 1977, which is a bit baffling . The Archaeological Survey of India finally took over the site in 1986.
 I explored the immediate vicinity ....a pleasant rustic view with green hills and  small streams.






How to reach there?? Well its just 43kms from Guwahati and well connected by the bus service.

I prefered to ride, clocking approximatly one and half hour + 53 kms from my house. 

And dont forget to carry your water bottles.




Comments

  1. Refreshing info's. May i say "thank you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say "welcome" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool man..great infos..loved d ruin shot where reflection is on water body trapped in the block..a very familiar Jyotish Dutta shots..kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i should then ask "vl u take me along by ur
    R-Enfield?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. too many anonymous....lol. anywayz tnx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great info. I found some unknown fact about Madan Kamdeva. We are also working on a website
    www.welcomenortheast.com. I like to invite you to write on our website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sir/Madam

      Glad you like this. Thank you for the appreciation.
      I am not much of a writer but would be happy to help.

      Cheers!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hajo

Hajo, a place just 32 kms from my house in Guwahati, and I knew so little about the place and the people. So off I rode to Hajo. It took me 2hrs to reach the main town. Not that the road condition was bad, but the view all along the way was just fantastic. The river Brahmaputra and the enveloping hills on both the sides ensured that I made many pit stops in admiration. With early morning rains bringing down the mercury level, it was a great day for biking. My 1 st climb was the Garurachal Hills to see the shrine people call Poa Mecca, a place of pilgrimage for the Muslim community. On top of the hill is a mosque and the tomb of Gyasuddin Aulia. It is said that Gyasuddin Aulia , an Iranian prince, made the first attempt to impregnate Islam in this part of the country(supposedly 12AD). Legend has it that the preacher had bought a lump of earth from Mecca and enshrined the same at the spot where the mosque was built at a later period.   The present preacher there was kind enough to edu

Teer

Teer, a local sport in Shillong, is now a very addictive legalized form of betting. “Teer” meaning “Arrow”, is an everyday event   where several groups of archers shoot at a specified target. Counters spread across Shillong ensure that market is adequately addressed. Best part is that anyone can bet. A cab from Police Bazaar took me to Polo. It wasn’t hard finding the location as the people I asked for directions were headed there. So I joined them. We entered a somewhat nondescript compound with high walls on one side and small betting counters surrounding it. A cylindrical target made of bamboo and straw had been placed in front of the wall. Archers in groups, with their bows and arrows made of bamboo, were ready under an arched shooting gallery. Suddenly, on a signal, arrows began to whiz through the air. It was 4.30PM in the afternoon, the light was low and it was drizzling… The Target The Archers The Archers Within minutes the shooting was over and the officials proce